DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES
HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
KCETLink's Human Resources function is a one person department, requiring the Director to possess a breadth of capabilities and responsibilities, ranging from strategic people management, program development and administration, to all administrative activities associated with payroll, benefits, and report compilation - both internal to KCETLink and external to the various agencies that monitor its employment practices. The Director reports to the Sr. Vice President and General Counsel, Corporate and Legal Affairs, and, working with the Sr. Vice President and General Counsel, Corporate and legal Affairs, develops and implements programs, policies and procedures that impact all aspects of the workforce from pre-employment to termination.
Must have a minimum of 7 - 10 years of human resources experience in a broad range of functions (personnel, employee relations, EEOC/diversity, compensation, benefits [plan development and administration], payroll, and training and development) with increasing levels of responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Works closely with KCETLink's senior management to align and provide Human Resources service, expertise, and solutions to advance KCETLink's mission, core values, and business objectives.
- Manages the day-to-day delivery of Human Resources services to KCETLink, as follows:
· Recruitment & Hiring: develops all job postings and job descriptions; recruits for positions, ensuring adherence to all applicable legal requirements and developing and retaining mandatory documentation; drafts offer letters; attends quarterly job fairs; conducts new employee orientations; enrolls employees in all benefit plans; ensures that new employees are fully informed on corporate benefits, policies and procedures, safety training, and all areas that will impact their employment; inputs, updates and maintains all employee data into the online human resources/payroll system; and, develops and maintains all employee personnel files.
· Employee Relations: provides advice, counsel and direction on all personnel and disciplinary actions; ensures all applicable laws are followed (wage & hour, EEO-related, common law and other specialized statutes); monitors to ensure consistent application throughout KCETLink; develops, updates and maintains all personnel policies and procedures, including the Employee Handbook, keeping abreast of legislative updates and other changes; resolves employee complaints through mediation and individual coaching; and, conducts employee exit interviews.
· EEOC/Diversity: ensures that the KCETLink workforce reflects the communities it serves; prepares all required reports to all local, state and federal agencies, such as the Affirmative Action Plan (AAP), the EEO-1, the FCC and Corporation for Public Broadcasting annual reports.
· Compensation: provides salary surveys and compensation best practices advice and counsel to KCETLink's Sr. Vice President and General Counsel, Corporate and Legal Affairs; and, ensures employees similarly situated are treated similarly.
· Benefits Administration (health, welfare & retirement): recommends plan design changes, where applicable; conducts open enrollment; enrolls employees in benefits, answers questions or directs employees and their covered dependents to information sources, and maintains all employee data bases and reporting.
· Payroll: working closely with the Finance Department, ensures all employee data are input and updated in the payroll system to guarantee a timely payroll; serves as the key contact in responding to all wage and hour issues, staying abreast of all applicable changes in the law; and, ensures final paychecks are timely and accurate.
· Training and Development: provides for all legally required training (including sexual harassment and diversity training), and develops and facilitates other sessions as needed or desired.
· Employee Morale: plans and implements employee events, e.g., Holiday Party, Health Fair, receptions, etc.
· General Administrative Duties: responsible for the accurate and timely completion of all required internal/external reports; administers departmental budget and KCETLink's internship programs.
A minimum of 7 - 10 years of progressive Human Resources experience with a focus on all essential human resources functions listed above. Demonstrated ability to develop effective consultative relationships with management and ease in interacting with all levels of staff from individual contributors through senior executives. Tact, diplomacy, objectivity, and confidentiality are absolutely required.
Strong business acumen, teamwork and interpersonal skills are required, as is the ability to work well under pressure, handle many projects simultaneously, and resolve problems quickly and effectively. Must be able to communicate clearly and succinctly both verbally and in writing, in both formal and informal settings
A Bachelor degree in business, Human Resources or a related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) required, as well as, specific experience in an online human resources and/or payroll product, preferably Ultipro.
- Experience with non-profit organizations strongly preferred
- Experience in a media / production environment preferred
- Demonstrated ability to supervise employees
- Experience with merging two corporate cultures a plus, as is working with employees in multiple locations
The candidate must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Corporate and Business Affairs. To apply, please submit a completed Job Posting Application to Human Resources by September 15, 2013.
"Women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply." EEO Employer.