NHK WORLD TV Channel Brings the Dynamism of Asia to
Southern California Audiences 24/7
A Wide Selection of Programming Will Include Everything from News, Science and Technology Reports to Cooking, Travel and Multi-cultural Shows
Tokyo, Japan - July 31, 2013 - Japan International Broadcasting (http://www.jibtv.com/), the distribution company of NHK, and KCETLink (www.kcet.org), the national independent public transmedia organization, have announced the dynamic programming line-up on NHK WORLD TV () which debuts in Southern California on Monday, August 5, 2013.
NHK, Japan's sole public, independent broadcaster, recently partnered with KCETLink to launch the stand-alone 24-hour, English-language television news and lifestyle network to more than 5.6 million Southern California homes on KCETLink's over-the-air digital channel 28.4.
"We are excited to share such a compelling lineup with Southern California audiences that includes everything from cutting edge news coverage of major global events to mouthwatering recipes and menu advice from our region's foremost culinary experts to key trends driving Asian lifestyle and technology," said Yoshihiko Shimizu, president and CEO, Japan International Broadcasting. "Southern California is one of the most culturally-diverse markets in the world and our schedule truly provides something for everyone to enjoy."
Based in Tokyo, Japan, NHK WORLD TV offers a variety of informative and entertaining news, business, food, travel, technology and cultural programming around the clock, featuring some of the region's top talent. Programs include:
· "NEWSLINE" - Journalists from around the world report news and breaking news, including the latest in politics, business, technology and culture in Asia. Regular features come from a total of 30 news bureaus, including Beijing, London and Paris. In the United States, New York, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles offer different perspectives on what's happening. Well-known anchors include Shery Ahn, Yuko Aotani, Catherine Kobayashi and Gene Otani.
Science and Business
· "ASIA BIZ FORECAST" - Asia's top economists and commercial strategists forecast Asia's rapidly changing business, financial and market trends. Hosted by Yuko Fukushima.
· "Science View" - Renowned Japanese scientists investigate and discuss the worlds of technology and natural science. Moderated by Rena Yamada.
· "ASIAN VOICES" - NHK's senior commentator, Aiko Doden, hosts Asia's leading academics, economists and politicians, who provide perspectives on global and regional issues.
· "Dining with the chef" - Culinary artists, including Tatuo Saito, introduce Japanese cuisine and the overall harmony of various ingredients.
· "Journeys in Japan" - A variety of English teachers, artists and actors serve as travel experts, exploring Japan and meeting the people, discovering the local culture and offering helpful hints rarely found in normal guidebooks.
· "cool japan" - A panel of international special guests examine the appeal and secrets to the hip cultural aspects of Japan. Hosted by Risa Stegmayer and Shoji Kokami.
The channel also offers an assortment of groundbreaking documentaries and specials including "March to Recovery," "TOMORROW" and "NHK Documentary." You can view the entire program schedule at http://www.kcet.org/shows/a-z/#T.. Additionally, KCET's main channel will air NHK specials in primetime, including "Genki Sudo" and the aforementioned "TOMORROW." More information on these programs is available at
"KCETLink is committed to providing quality international news and cultural programming to Southern California," said Al Jerome, president and CEO, KCETLink. "By partnering with Japan International Broadcasting and NHK WORLD TV, we can now offer another significant world view to our extremely diverse viewing audience."
NHK WORLD TV is currently available in 260 million households across 140 countries and regions. It will be available via digital broadcast through a dedicated over-the-air channel (Channel 28.4) in Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura Counties.
Japan International Broadcasting, Inc.
Japan International Broadcasting Inc. (JIB), a subsidiary of NHK, is responsible for the worldwide distribution of the HD English language news/lifestyle program "NHK WORLD TV", as well as the Japanese language program "NHK WORLD Premium." Currently, the two channels are broadcast around the world on three international and 20 domestic satellites and reach households, hotels and others via DTH, cable, IPTV and terrestrial broadcast.
On-air, online and in the community, KCET plays a vital role in the cultural and educational enrichment of Southern and Central California. KCET offers a wide range of award-winning local programming as well as the finest public television programs from around the world. KCET currently produces the Emmy®, duPont-Columbia and Peabody Award-winning SoCal Connected, a hard-hitting prime-time weekly television news program that examines the issues and people of Southern California. Throughout its 48-year history, KCET has won hundreds of major awards for its local and regional news and public affairs programming, its national drama and documentary productions, its quality educational family and children's programs, its outreach and community services and its website, kcet.org. KCET is a donor-supported community institution. For additional information about KCET productions, web-exclusive content, programming schedules and community events, please visit kcet.org. KCET is a service of KCETLink.