LOS ANGELES, CA-- MAY 31, 2011---KCET, the largest independent public media company serving Southern and Central California, announced today that a total of $90,304 was raised during its special televised benefit for Japan--100% of which will go toward relief efforts in the region most affected by the earthquake and tsunami disasters.
The show first aired live on KCET May 24, 2011 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., during which Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa made a special appearance. The show was rebroadcast on Saturday, May 28, 2011 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Full list of guests who appeared on the show includes:
• LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
• KTLA Newsman Frank Buckley (host)
• Fox 11 News anchor/reporter Susan Hirasuna (host)
• Japanese American Actress/filmmaker Lily Mariye (host)
• Japanese American Actor George Takei
• Consul General Junichi Ihara of the Consulate-General of Japan Los Angeles
• Chief Terry Hara, Deputy Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department
• Bryan Takeda of the U.S.-Japan Council
• Chris Komai of the Japanese American National Museum
• Lalit Acharya, International Relations officer from Riverside, sister city to Sendai, Japan
• Dr. Kozue Shimabukuro, a pediatrician who was working on the Peds disaster team in Japan.
• Mark Benthien, Southern California Earthquake Center
On-air, online and in the community, KCET plays a vital role in the cultural and educational enrichment of Southern and Central California. KCET offers a wide range of award-winning local programming as well as the finest public television programs from around the world. KCET currently produces the Emmy®, duPont-Columbia and Peabody Award-winning SoCal Connected, a hard-hitting prime-time weekly television news program that examines the issues and people of Southern California. Throughout its more than 40-year history, KCET has won hundreds of major awards for its local and regional news and public affairs programming, its national drama and documentary productions, its quality educational family and children's programs, its outreach and community services and its website, kcet.org. KCET is a donor-supported community institution. For additional information about KCET productions, Web-exclusive content, programming schedules and community events, please visit kcet.org
TrackBack URL: http://www.kcet.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/9678