Comfort food rules the heart. After a tour in Afghanistan, Marine Staff Sgt. Tim Gallagher had a particular request when he returned to his Camp Pendleton home last November. It was something no MRE (military Meals, Ready-to-Eat), nor a nice steakhouse, could provide. Instead, it was mom's heart-warming snack that many enjoy across the states: Bisquick balls.
"It's pretty much yummy goodness wrapped up in a ball," Gallagher told SoCal Connected about the sausage and cheese spheres. "Still so awesome, mom," he told her as he consumed nine of them.
Rhonda Gallagher was kind enough to share the recipe, which has been transcribed below:
Recipe: Sausage Cheese Balls (or Bisquick Balls) by Rhonda Gallagher
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
3 cups of biscuit mix
1 lb. uncooked bulk pork sausage
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (16 oz.)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees: grease large cookie sheet (with edges)
2. Stir all ingredients using a large fork or hands.
3. Shape into 1-inch balls or use a small cookie scoop place on pan.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown.
5. Remove immediately from pan. Serve warm.
Recipe can be made ahead up to 1 day. Makes about four dozen.