Anyone lucky enough to have tasted a farm-fresh tomato knows that it's one of the best flavors around, and nothing at all like your average winter supermarket tomato. Since Southern California is right now at the height of its tomato season -- and the farmers' markets are bursting with heirloom varieties -- KCET Food and The Farmer's Kitchen have decided this month's recipe contest will be all about this juicy fruit!
Send us your favorite tomato-based recipe, be it sweet or savory, simple or complicated, raw or cooked. The creator of our very favorite recipe will win a gift basket full of goods made in Southern California, including:
- Three jams from Ellelle Kitchen in Pasadena: Central Coast Raspberry, Fig Conserve with Backyard Orange and Walnut and Backyard Grapefruit with Campari.
- A copy of Julia's Kitchen Wisdom: Essential Techniques and Recipes from a Lifetime of Cooking, a reference guide perhaps not made in California, but written by one of our culinary greats!
- A jar of balsamic vinaigrette from David's Unforgettables in San Fernando Valley.
- Two cans of olives from Graber Olive House in Ontario.
- A selection of three brittles from Morning Glory Confections in Los Angeles.
Leave it in the comments section below or email it to Living editor Katherine Spiers by the deadline (August 28 at noon). We'll spend the week with Chef Ernest Miller of the HFK cooking and tasting the submissions, and the winner will be announced at noon on September 5. For official contest rules, visit this link.
TrackBack URL: http://www.kcet.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/15032