Yes, what you're seeing at the top is, in fact, Huell Howser on a jetski. For at least some of you, this is a dream finally realized. It's not especially indicative of this week's Retro Huell post, I guess, but it's hard to figure out what would be. It centers around jogging, more or less, but it's... um, a little more eclectic than we're used to. Here, a bulleted list of the clip's contents should illustrate this point fairly well.
- Huell rolls around in a wheelchair for a week to understand what it's like to be disabled.
- Huell rides Barbara Mandrell's jetski (pictured).
- Huell and some boys from a Vanderbilt fraternity slather themselves in mud.
- Huell jogs with Willie Nelson through Nashville.
- Huell discusses jogging with Leslee "Honey" Alexander, wife to then-Tennessee governor Lamar Alexander and her bodyguard, the weirdly Huell Howser-sounding Hugh Hayes.
- Huell jogs with Honey Alexander despite her being seven months pregnant.
- Huell discusses jogging with Dolly Parton.
That's it. That's the whole clip. But even though I just told you everything that happens in the clip, I really didn't give anything away. It's worth the few minutes it takes to watch. These clips make for an interesting peek into Huell's past -- and the kind of weird adventures you end up taking when you're a TV host.
For what it's worth, Huell always looks like he's loving every minute of what he's doing. That counts for something, I think.
Read previous "Retro Huell" posts:
- Dolly Parton
- George Burns
- Zelda Rubinstein
- Luciano Pavarotti
- Richard Simmons
- John Ritter
- Tony Danza
- a leopard
- Hulk Hogan & Mr. T
- The Eagles
- Minnie Pearl and Porky the Pet House Pig
- Dolly Parton (again)
- David Hockney
- Tammy Wynette
- The Junebug Lady
- Ed Koch
- Barbi Benton
- Huell in Nashville, 1979