News and notes on the shifting culture of our neighborhoods:
- Happy New Year from the Los Angeles River: Daily Kos
- "Gentrification in Highland Park is a perfect example of corporate greed," says Quetzal Flores, of former Regeneración mainstays Quetzal: L.A. Weekly
- Golden Age of Venice displayed in Jonas Never's new mural: Venice Patch
- Architecture critic Christopher Hawthorne reviews books by William Estrada, Robert Gottlieb: Culture Monster (L.A. Times)
- Video interviews with Tyrus Wong: Chinese Historical Society of Southern California
- Los Angeles' River of Dreams - one of seven projects that point to a bold urban future: Salon
Departures is KCET's oral history and interactive documentary project exploring neighborhoods through voices in the community, touching on topics including immigration, race, gentrification, urban planning and environmental issues. Highland Park is the latest installment in the series.