- RELATED TOPICS
- Elysian Valley
Completed in 1927, the Fletcher Drive Bridge was built as part of the "Great Fletcher Drive Improvement" plan, which aimed to design a grand boulevard for Northeast Los Angeles. The bridge spans the distance between Atwater Village and Silver Lake, connecting the two neighborhoods with its distinctive architecture and concrete pylons topped with ornamental lanterns. In 1987, the bridge was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #322, ensuring its preservation as a piece of city history. It was also one of the first bridges to be seismically retrofitted, a project that was finished in 1992.
Below is a video portrait of the Fletcher Drive Bridge and its surroundings.