- RELATED TOPICS
Submit an original song for the Songs of the LA River Project by Friday, April 22.
Songs of the LA River is presented by the City of Los Angeles in collaboration with the Mayor's L.A. River Day of Service, Councilmember Ed P. Reyes, Ozomatli, the Department of Cultural Affairs and KCET Departures. LA based youth, ages 6-18, are invited to submit an original piece of music inspired by the Los Angeles River. The top entries will win a chance to perform their song with Ozomatli at the FREE LA River Day of Service Jamz Concert, on Saturday, April 30th, 2011. So what are you waiting for? Start composing!
Check out these LA high school students who were selected to perform along with Ozomatli at the Corrido of LA event on December 18, 2010. Inspired yet?
Don't think you have a song to share? Here're some ideas to get the creativity flowing:
- The cat paintings along the river storm drains, courtesy of Leo Limon
- The flow of the river in the summer, or after a storm?
- The murals and graffiti along the river
- The bridges
- It's our river in our city!
Don't hesitate, write down your LA River memories, experiences, hopes and lay down a beat.The spirit of "Ozomatli Day" lives on at this year's LA River Day of Service!
- The contest is open to LA based youth 6-18 years old
- Songs may be submitted from individual musicians or a band (school bands welcomed!)
- Submission Deadline is Friday April 22.
- All entries must be accompanied by an entry form as a PDF, Word Format or online, see below).
- Even if you're not one of the lucky ones selected to perform your piece live, your song will be posted online at http://LARiverSongs.posterous.com/ and on kcet.org/departures.
- E-MAIL your entry to: LARiverSongs@gmail.com
- ONLINE: You can fill out the entry here
- or MAIL you can your entry to:
ATTN: Angelica Loa Perez, Department of Cultural Affairs, 201 N. Figueroa St., Suite 1400 Los Angeles, CA 90012
Enter your song in the following formats:
- Audio MP3 recording
- YouTube video of you/your band performing your song
- Scanned copies of your sheet music to LARiverSongs@gmail.com
- Or call in your song to (909) 70-ELRIO (maximum recording time is 3 minutes per call).
All Entries must be accompanied by an Entry Form (PDF, Word Format or online). Download form at, lariversongs.posterous.com.
Email any questions to LARiverSongs@gmail.com
KCET Submission Rules
- Do not upload content - photos and video - that you do not own.
- KCET employees are not eligible, nor are members of their families.
For complete details on the Songs of the L.A. River Project visit:
For more information on the DCA Music LA Program, go to:
For more information on the L.A. River Day of Service visit:
- A Los Angeles Primer
- Arrival Stories
- Block by Block
- Engaging Spaces
- Green Justice
- I Am Los Angeles