This contest is closed. Thank you to all who submitted; we received a great mix of songs inspired by Venice and original songs by local artists. Check out the submissions below for a hint of the final mixtape to come. Winners to be announced soon!
Venice, a bustling community of eccentrics and outcasts, has inspired generations of architects, artists and beat poets. With the success of the popular Highland Park Mixtape Contest, we now move westward as we begin the Venice Mixtape Contest.
Send us the name of a song (with URL from YouTube, if it exists) that reminds you of Venice, or even better, an original song. Include at least a 1-2 sentence explanation for a chance to win a $30 gift certificate to Amoeba Music.
At the end of the contest, the final mixtape tracklisting will be presented on this site, and the grand-prize winner will be announced. Deadline: February 20, 2012
To enter, submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as a comment on our Facebook page, or through Twitter including hashtag #VeniceMixtape with your explanation. We've started the playlist below with a few tracks to give you some ideas. These songs either allude to experiences in Venice, or feature artists native to the area, i.e. The Doors and Dilated Peoples' Evidence--both featured in the videobox below.
(Click here for direct playlist page to see list of submissions)
For those who want to learn more about Venice, check out our Departures: Venice series featuring video interviews, historical photography, and maps narrating the cultural history of this iconic beachfront town. Below are quotes from some of the featured Venice characters to help inspire your song submission(s):
- Live from the Venice Boardwalk
- Take a beat from the 1950s
- My life, my life, my life, my life in the sunshine
- They're always glad you came, where everybody knows your name...
Contest Rules & Guidelines:
- All submissions must include a 1-2 sentence explanation for their entry.
- If you are submitting an original song, please use supported Youtube formats, including AVI, MPEG4, MOV, FLV, WebM, and WMV files.
- Non-original submissions must include artist name, proper song title, and album.
- KCET employees are not eligible, nor are members of their families.
- If you have questions about this contest, leave them in the comments field below.
Make sure to share this contest page with your friends and come back to find out which tracks made the cut. Best of luck!
- A Los Angeles Primer
- Arrival Stories
- Block by Block
- Engaging Spaces
- Green Justice
- I Am Los Angeles