- RELATED TOPICS
Each month KCET Departures features a community initiative in which we ask our readers for submissions on a particular topic. So far we've asked for stories about skateboarding, punk rock, and poems for National Poetry Month, to name just a few of our initiatives. We are currently running The Power of Place: Map Your L.A. contest.
Although the deadline for some of the contests have passed and not every month can be dedicated to the art of prose, you can continue to send us your stories--we want to provide an outlet for anyone with an interesting story (or poem) that they'd like to share. Each week we will highlight a story that you may have missed, or that have never been published.
This week we feature The Congregation, one of the winners of the Songs of the L.A. River Project. We recorded a performance of their song "Water Under the Bridge" at our StoryShare event in April. Listen below:
Previously on Stories from the Community:
- Skateboarding Legends of the Hollywood Riviera by illustrator Ann Pickard
- Sprawsong by poet E. Amato.
- Growing Up in Venice, photography by lifelong resident Mary Jo Braden.
- Santa Claus is Chinese! by exotic food writer Eddie Lin
- Bored Punks in Trouble by media educator Antonio Lopez
- Melrose Ave. by award-winning poet and writer Zosimo Quibilan, Jr.
- I Was the Skateboard Queen by Melinda Lyttle
Do you have a story to share? Tell us here. Visit our community page for more opportunities to share via initiatives and contests.
- A Los Angeles Primer
- Arrival Stories
- Block by Block
- Engaging Spaces
- Green Justice
- I Am Los Angeles