Students from the Los Feliz Charter School for the Arts (LFCSA) and the Living Museum Sycamore Grove are collaborating with Departures Youth Voices to document their exploration of the area and develop interactive tools that will become part of the Living Museum's community resources. Follow the students as they work with community residents and learn about the history of the neighborhood, urban planning, and placemaking.
Below are the student's observations from their field trip to the Sycamore Grove District in Highland Park. To read more about the trip click here.
We went to Heritage square on our field trip. Heritage Square is a museum with vintage houses that were brought to the museum so they could be restored. Another reason the houses were brought to Heritage Square was so they wouldn't be wrecked.
Sycamore grove is just your normal neighborhood but all of the landmarks,museums, and houses make the area amazing. When we went there I realized that more people should come here.
Questions to Investigate:
- Did anyone beside us realize that there was a ton of cool murals?
- I wonder when more people will notice how great Sycamore Grove is?
- When were most of these houses at Heritage Square built?
- Do people lead walks around here so more people will come and make Sycamore Grove an even better place than it already is?
- Why do some people wreck such nice and original things?