Students from the Los Feliz Charter School for the Arts (LFCSA) and the Living Museum Sycamore Grove are collaborating with Departures Youth Voices to document their exploration of the area and develop interactive tools that will become part of the Living Museum's community resources. Follow the students as they work with community residents and learn about the history of the neighborhood, urban planning, and placemaking.
Below are the student's observations from their field trip to the Sycamore Grove District in Highland Park. To read more about the trip click here.
We visited Heritage Square. It is a museum were you look at old houses from different parts of Los Angeles that were saved from being torn down.
We saw a lot of old craftsman style houses, lots of murals, and chimneys made out of river rocks. Everything was just so beautiful and I would love to go back. I had a wonderful time.
Questions to investigate:
- Why is there so much graffiti?
- Why is there graffiti on the murals?
- Why do not a lot of people know about Heritage Square?
- Why do people tear down these amazing houses to build freeways?
- Why is Heritage Square so quiet and empty?