Learning Overview & Objectives:
The students will become familiar with Departures Youth Voices and the multimedia tools available to them to explore and critically examine their neighborhood, and identify how they can initiate and implement community improvements.
- Formulate answers to questions that ask them to think critically about their community.
- Receive and learn how to use their Youth Voices Notebook to track and reflect on their progress and prepare ideas that will inform the development of their project and the content for articles on the Youth Voices website.
- Learn how to access and use the Youth Voices Portal.
- Learn about an aspect of their community from an expert. (history, politics, public policy, change, etc.)
Time: 2-3 hours
OVERVIEW OF DEPARTURES YOUTH VOICES
- Multimedia, what it is and how it is used in Youth Voices
- The Youth Voices (YV) Notebook, as an idea and prep book, archive, and guide
- The online Youth Voices (YV) Portal and address the importance of publishing their work
- The project schedule & expectations
GUEST SPEAKER (community expert)... Profiles the history and current condition of the local community.
ACTIVITY...Using the YV Notebook students answer prompts concerning themselves, where they live and what is their current and future vision for their community.
TASK...Students complete YV pre-assessment that examines their understanding of leadership and collaboration skills as well as their knowledge of local history and culture and their general knowledge of multimedia tools.
ASSIGNMENT...The students are asked to bring an object to the next class that connects them to their neighborhood and use their YV Notebook to answer a few questions that will prepare them for the next meeting.