Learning Overview and Objectives
Students are introduced to the various ways in which we define place through mapping, how and why maps are used, and the narratives behind them. Students will examine their neighborhood on geographical, social, and personal levels as they create their own hand drawn maps.
Students will ...
- Examine their relationship with the people, places, and things that make up their neighborhood, and define these as Hot Spots.
- Draw a map that incorporates their daily neighborhood experiences and share the significance of their Hot Spots.
- Present their map to the class and elaborate on their Hot Spots.
- Write and upload a new entry on their maps to the online YV Portal
Time: 4 hours
The students are introduced to various maps and mapping.
ACTIVITY #1...Using the YV Notebook the students identify their neighborhood Hot Spots and provide a brief description for each.
- A place that you want to see changed (and why)
- A place with great colors (what are they?)
- A place that has a deep personal meaning to you (and why)
- A place that is always quiet
- A place that has "history" (what history?)
- A great place to hang out (what makes it great?)
- A place where people come together to participate in a shared activity (what type of activity and who participates?)
- A person that defines your neighborhood for you (and why?)
- A place or person that you are afraid to meet, cross paths with, relate to (and why?)
- A great place to eat (what type of food and what makes it great?)
ACTIVITY #2...Using the YV Notebook the students hand draw a map of their neighborhood that includes their 10 Hot Spots. Once they have completed their map they place a clear plastic/acetate layer directly over the map and, using Sharpie markers, write the significance of each Hot Spot and add more details to their map.
ACTIVITY #3...The students present their maps to their classmates. Students are encouraged to ask questions and comment on each other's selections.
This multi-layer approach highlights the way the students interact, understand and define their neighborhood.
ACTIVITY #4...Using the YV on-line portal the students submit an article on their 10 Hot Spots and their map.