KCET invites you to help your community through service. Our weekly Get Involved page features ways for you to connect with organizations in need of a helping hand.
This week KCET features ways for you to serve people in poor health. Volunteering for the ill is a great way to help fellow Angelinos and appreciate your own health.
Good Samaritan Hospital welcomes volunteers. They enable the hospital to provide a higher level of service and contribute to the comfort of our patients and visitors. Volunteers assist patients, visitors and staff in a variety of ways and have the opportunity to learn new skills. As a volunteer, you may could:
- Escort and discharge patients
- Deliver lab specimens
- Assist with clerical duties
- Perform data entry and word processing
- Brush up on computer skills
- Assemble patient charts
- Visit and read to patients
- Assist with special events.
For details click here, or to volunteer, call the Director of Volunteers at (213) 977-2091.
Pathways Volunteer Hospice is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to providing service to the terminally ill and providing compassionate support to grieving families.
- Hospice: Duties would include respite care, friendly visitor, transportation.
- Caregiver: Duties might include respite, friendly visitor, transportation, grocery shopping, light housekeeping, handyman and yard work.
- Bereavement: Duties may include monthly telephone calls, group facilitation, and one-on-one assignments.
- Office: Duties include answering phones, addressing and stuffing envelopes, and miscellaneous office jobs.
- Fund Raiser: Pathways volunteers assist with special events such as our Golf Tournament, Theatre Party and Light Up A Life tree lighting ceremony.
For information on required time commitments and a volunteer application, click here.
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles also has volunteer opportunities.
- Arts Program
- Child Life
- Guest Services
- Special Care
- Emergency Department
- Reach Out and Read Program
- Literally Healing Program
- Gift Shop
- Office Assistants
For volunteer descriptions and qualifications, click here.