July 15th is Summer Food Night on KCET!
KCET's Summer Food Night features special programming including the all-new Breakfast Special, a program celebrating going out for a meal in America, "Food Wars" by the award-winning weekly news program SoCal Connected, two Huell Howser favorites - California's Gold "Pear Fair" and Visiting with Huell Howser "Summer Ice" - and an Ice Cream Show for dessert all on Thursday, July 15 beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Don't just watch KCET's Summer Food Night. Tweet it. The KCET Twitter Family will be hosting an all-night Twitter Party during the shows. So don your party hat and get ready to talk food.
- Huell - KCET's special night of programming begins with Huell Howser traveling to the Sacramento Delta to learn about California pears in California's Gold "Pear Fair". The adventure begins with a family who has been farming in the Delta for five generations. The soil and climate have made the Delta a perfect place to grow agriculture since the Gold Rush. Huell ends up at the 26th annual Pear Fair in Courtland. Everything from pear ice cream to pear vinegar, it's a whole festival devoted to the Delta pear. (7:30 - 8:00 p.m.)
- SoCal Connected - SoCal Connected sends correspondent Angie Crouch to South Los Angeles, where a City Council moratorium has kept a freeze on new fast food restaurants for over a year. SoCal Connected catches up with the lawmaker who wrote the ban, with experts who argue that such laws are based on false and misleading data--and with the people who are living with the consequences. Next in "Moveable Feast," Anchor Val Zavala samples the food from a number of gourmet food trucks, talking to ambitious entrepreneurs eager to turn a profit. Zavala also discusses the surge in food trucks with "bricks-and-mortar" restaurant owners upset by estimates of a 30-40% decline in their businesses when the trucks roll in. (8:00 - 8:30 p.m.)
- More Huell! - In Visiting with Huell Howser "Summer Ice" Huell samples some unique and tasty frozen specialties imported from Mexico and Singapore. (8:30 - 9:00 p.m.)
- Breakfast Special - Then it is time to find new ways to start the day with Breakfast Special, a celebration of going out for a morning meal in America. Rick Sebak visits interesting and unusual breakfast spots, from a Cuban cafe in downtown St. Augustine to a mid-western eatery in a shopping center outside Columbus, Ohio. He lets viewers sample pancakes in rural New York state, try "congee" in San Francisco and see what's cooking at the Tin Shed in Portland, Oregon. This new special shows us there's more to breakfast than a bowl of cold cereal. (9:00 - 10:00 p.m.)
- Ice Cream Special - The night would not be complete without dessert and everybody loves ice cream! It's cool, sweet and delicious. It's also the tantalizing topic of this happy documentary program that takes viewers to ice cream places across America from Vermont to Hawaii, highlighting outstanding places to get a cone or a bowl. An Ice Cream Show features mostly small ice cream lovers - from makers and eaters to collectors and cone-makers. (10:00 - 11:00 p.m.)
In addition to all that tasty goodness, KCET.org is featuring a series of guest blog posts, contests and flickr groups about Food in L.A.; visit the website's new Food in L.A. section for more!
TrackBack URL: http://www.kcet.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/7493