Meet Anne Shih, a 2014 Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Local Heroes Nominee
Title: Board Chairwoman and Volunteer
Organization: Bowers Museum
"Anne Shih, as a volunteer, has raised millions of dollars in the past 18 years for the Bowers Museum mission and its educational programs." Dr. Peter Keller, President, Bowers Museum (nominator)
- As a volunteer, dedicates hundreds of hours every month to improving the community experience at the Bowers Museum.
- Benefactor and volunteer to many philanthropic endeavors including the Bowers Museum; Founder and Board Member of the United Chinese American Association, Chinese American Professional Women's League, Board Member of the Pacific Symphony Orchestra Chinese American League, and many more.
- Made Official World Ambassador for Shaanxi Province, China because of her work bringing exhibits from China to the Bowers Museum.
- In 2000 founded the Chinese-speaking Chinese Cultural Arts Council (CCAC) to provide Chinese visitors to the Bowers Museum with guided tours in their native languages including Mandarin, the Taiwainese dialect, and the Cantonese dialect.
- In 2011 began the Junior Ambassador Program to teach local high-school students about all aspects of museums by volunteering for a few hours each week at the Bowers; students who successfully pass the program travel to China the following summer to volunteer at the Shanghai Museum, and other world-class institutions.
- "Anne Shih has established a well-deserved reputation in Orange County as an ambassador of cross-cultural understanding and appreciation for the arts. Anne is truly an inspiration . . . "