"Gordon overcame incredible adversity to fulfill his dream of a life in the U.S. His achievement is a powerful example of the human spirit, and a testimony to his personal dignity. We feel fortunate to have met him." Mr. and Mrs. Richard Trevino, teachers, Sulphur Springs Elementary School (nominators)
- Born in 1942 in Jiangsu Province of China and orphaned at a young age. Double Luck is his life story of his early years and struggles in China
- Immigrated to the United States in 1969. Worked his way up to owning a chain of restaurants in Los Angeles, then decided to change his life and settle in Morro Bay where he opened the Coffee Pot restaurant.
- Morro Bay Chamber of Commerce named the Coffee Pot and Lu Chi Fa as its first Business of the Month in recognition of outstanding and unselfish service to the community of Morro Bay.
- Double Luck won the Parents' Choice Gold Award and it is featured on the list of 100 books highly recommended for middle grade students in California schools.
- The book is also on the required reading list for three classes at Cal Poly SLO, where he is invited to speak to education classes.
- He is a frequent guest lecturer and has donated revenue from his books to the children's programs at the Morro Bay and Atascadero public libraries and to Cal Poly student scholarships.