Meet Abby J. Leibman, nominee for 2014 Local Heroes Jewish American Heritage Month
Title: President and CEO
Organization: MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger
"In all of Abby's outstanding community service, Abby has been an innovator, a path finder and a leader whose life has been dedicated to implementing the Jewish mandate of tikkun olam (to repair the world) and empowering others to follow her leadership." - Phalen G. Hurewitz, Shareholder, Isaacman, Kaufman & Painter (nominator)
- President & CEO of MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger, a national non-profit organization dedicated to preventing and alleviating hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds.
- Co Founder (with Sheila Kuehl and Jennifer McKenna) and Past Executive Director of California Women's Law Center, the first law center in California dedicated solely to addressing women's civil rights and unique legal needs of women and girls.
- Past Directing Attorney/Community Programs for Public Counsel, developing and directing its Child Care Law project
- Member Board of Directors for Jewish Family Services; the Board of California Women Lawyers; the Board of the Progressive Jewish Alliance; and on the Executive Committee of the Jewish Community Relations Commission.
- First Secretary of the Board of Directors for Jewish World Watch
- Directed the New Leaders Project of the Jewish Federation Council of Greater Los Angeles, 2003-2011.