Meet Adrienne Matros, a 2014 Jewish American Heritage Month Local Heroes nominee
Title: Board of Directors and Volunteer
Organization: Merage Jewish Community Center
"A Jewish proverb says 'Do not be wise in words, be wise in deeds.' Dr. Adrienne Matros exemplifies 'wise in deeds.' Her endeavors in behalf of community is inexhaustible, her impact invaluable. She continuously enriches the lives of others through acts of reparation and philanthropy to the world." Dan Bernstein, President, Merage Jewish Community Center.
- A clinical psychologist who serves as a Foundation Board Member at Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC)
- Board Member and "super volunteer" at Merage Jewish Community Center whose mission is "to enrich Jewish identities and create a vibrant community."
- Created the Maccabi Games in 2013; week long sporting and arts event that brought together 2,490 teen athletes and 1,900 volunteers to compete in sports, showcase the arts, engage in community service and build community in general.
- Co-Founder of JCC Cares, a social action program out of the Merage JCC that provides community service opportunities for people of all communities and ages.
- Launched and continues to support Tarbut V'Torah Day School Ambassador Club, a high school leadership program raising awareness around the United Nations' Millennium Development Goals on education, poverty, health and sustainable energy.
- Awarded the Volunteer of the Year Award in 2008 and 2013 by Merage JCC; also awarded the Merage's Yachad Award in 2011 and, with her husband, awarded the Merage Philanthropic Award in 2013.