Meet: Robina Suwol, a 2014 Jewish American Heritage Month nominee
Title: Founder and Executive Director
Organization/Business: California Safe Schools
"Robina is a selfless champion for health and the environment who has succesfully created sustainable program that are being replicated locally, nationally and internationally" Donna Inglima, Advisory Board Member, California Safe Schools (nominator)
- Founded California Safe Schools (CSS) in 1998, a children's environmental health and justice non-profit.
- Spearheaded LA Unified Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Policy, the most stringent policy in the nation for K-12 public schools and the first to embrace the "Precautionary Principle" and "Right to Know."
- Success of IPM led to California's Healthy Schools Act.
- Sponsored, along with CSS, AB 405, banning experimental pesticides, whose health effects are unknown, from California K-12 public schools, which was signed into law in 2005.
- Continues to be a leader on children's environmental health, with an emphasis on schools and environmental justice committees.
- Named by UTNe Magazine as on of "Fifty Visionaries Who Are Changing the World"