Meet Sunya "Sunny" Fay Mandel, a 2014 Jewish American Heritage Month Local Heroes nominee.
Organization: Various, including Jewish Federation Board, Orange County Hadassah, and others
"I am honored to nominate my mother who has given of herself for many Jewish causes throughout her 86 years. She is a role model for her three daughters, who have continued the legacy of community service." Ms. Micki Nozaki, daughter (nominator)
- 1979 volunteered at the newly established Orange County Community Center, becoming the Treasurer and Financial Secretary. Volunteer bookkeeper for nine years.
- 1984 - with her husband, volunteered for the Israeli Army for six weeks
- 1980's - became Life Member of Orange County Hadassah and served as the President during the 1980's as well as being an active fundraiser, a role she continues to this day.
- A member of her Temple's Choir for over thirty years; still meets for practice twice a week and sings for Friday night and High Holy Day services.
- Currently a member of the Jewish Federation Board
- Meets monthly with the Jewish War Veterans