"Ari Ruiz is a young and inspiring activist. His list of accomplishments is extensive and continues to grow. He has been a clear example of giving himself to be of service to others." - Nominator (wishes to remain anonymous)
2014 LGBT Pride Month Local Heroes nominee
- Bilingual Outreach Coordinator with The Laurel Foundation whose mission it is to provide educational and support programs to children, youth and families affected by or living with HIV/AIDS
- First Latino and youngest President of Stonewall Young Democrats, an organization whose mission is to represent and mobilize LGBTQA youth within the Democratic Party.
- Appointed by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to the Commission for Children, Youth and Their Families, where Ruiz worked on issues affecting the families and children of Los Angeles.
- Has helped execute grass root campaigns and created coalitions among immigrant Spanish-speaking communities, policy makers and organizational leaders.
- Outreach coordinator in the community of El Sereno for Barrio Action, a program which ensures that community members participate in after-school tutoring, English as a Second Language for adults, and basic computer skills-building for adults and children.
- Given the 2010 Outstanding Youth Leader Award by the Christopher Street West/LA Pride and named the Truman Award Honoree by the Democratic Party of the San Fernando Valley.