"Lauren Custer has done so much for the Los Angeles LGBT community, from her work at Project Angel Food, Equality California, LA Gay and Lesbian Center, and now with her new position as VP of Development at GLAAD." - Nominator Hillary Krutzsch, friend
2014 LGBT Pride Month Local Heroes nominee
Lauren Custer Dowling
- Called "one of the top 40 under 40 in the LGBT movement," by Cary Davidson, Partner Reed & Davidson and former board chair of Equality California.
- Became Vice President of Development for GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) on April 1, 2014. Overseeing all aspects of funding the organization's mission to work through the media to advance the stories of LGBT people that lead to positive change in the United States and abroad..
- For GLAAD will also lead a professional fundraising staff in both Los Angeles and New York City, as well as oversee Corporate Relations, Individual Philanthropy, Special Events, and Foundation Relations.
- Previously Director of Major Gifts and Special Events for L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center 2012-2014. Served as a senior member of the leadership team that was responsible for generating record growth for the organization.
- Grew women's affinity group, LAWN, into a vibrant organization from less than 100 to more than 1,000 active subscribers in less than a year, with turnouts at monthly engagement events of 150-325+ attendees.
- Major Gifts Officer at Equality California where she helped fight for marriage equality while improving their fundraising program. Worked at Los Angeles non-profit Project Angel Food