"Robyn Harrod is a pioneer in recruiting LGBT families to become foster and adoptive parents in Los Angeles County. Because of her dedication, Southern California Foster Family and Adoption Agency was the second agency in the country to receive the seal of recognition from the Human Rights All Children - All Families campaign." Nominator Sylvia Fogelman, President & CEO, Southern California Foster Family and Adoption Agency
2014 LGBT Pride Month Local Heroes nominee
- In 2000, when SCFFAA obtained its adoption license, Harrod became its Adoption Director and used her numerous community involvements to help place children. Instrumental in opening the doors to the LGBT community, which had been excluded from adopting for many years.
- SCFFAA has strong, ongoing relationship with LA Gay and Lesbian Center which, in 2011, received a 5-year federal grant to find permanent homes for LGBT youth. Harrod's expertise working with the LGBT community credited for SCFFAA being one of the five agencies asked to partner with the Center to develop and implement the program.
- Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) and the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) asked Harrod to assist in the writing of a training module for Children's Social Workers at the DCFS to help them work more effectively with LGBT parents.
- In 2008 interviewed by the HRC Foundation for their initiative " All Children-All Families" manual which was to be the comprehensive guide to policies and practices that welcome, affirm, and support LGBT foster and adoptive parents.
- In 2005 helped establish and has since been on the steering committees of the Adoption Consortium of Los Angeles, which has been highly instrumental in policy and procedural issues relative to adoption. Also involved in the Orange County Adoption Consortium.
- Received the 2008 Adoption Excellence Award in the category of Individual Contributions for her extraordinary contributions made in providing adoption and other permanency outcomes for children in foster care. Award given by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration for Children and Families