A big picture look at the region:
- It appears the FBI is looking into Prime Healthcare Services, a hospital chain with numerous locations in Southern California that is allegedly "treating elderly patients with rare medical conditions at far higher rates than other California hospitals." Cha-ching. California Watch follows up on their breaking story from last month.
- The state spent "$210.4 billion in 'general expenditures' last year." Dan Walters at the Sacramento Bee crunches recent Census numbers about California's budget.
- After the recent wind event created "arborgeddon," L.A Times columnist Gale Holland says, "Let's rethink our approach to L.A. trees." KCET's very own Char Miller shared similar sentiments earlier this year in Shady Dealings: Or the Problem with Planting Trees in Los Angeles.
- Fracking is happening in California: The Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors have approved some new rules regarding the controversial process that brings oil and natural gas to the surface, reports the Santa Ynez Journal.
- Novelist Alix Ohlin's fictional take on Christmas in Southern California has been published on Zócalo.
TrackBack URL: http://www.kcet.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/11776