A big picture look at the region:
- "A prison realignment program will send low-level offenders to county jails, depriving the state of using them to help clear brush, cut fire lines and stop infernos from spreading," says the Los Angeles Times.
- Traffic on a portion of the 101 Freeway in San Luis Obispo County has increased dramatically over the last decade. The Paso Robles area has seen a jump from 40,000 vehicles each day to 70,000, reports Central Coast News.
- In the last five years, 1,480 people have been wrongly incarcerated in L.A. County jails, finds the Los Angeles Times in an inquiry.
- The first flu-related death in California this season was reported in Kern County last week, says KERO 23 Bakersfield.
- Surprise, surprise? Two of seven "dumbest local political scandals of 2011," as tallied by The Atlantic Cities, are in L.A. County: the recent affairs in the city of San Fernando and the continuing drama in the city of Bell.