A big picture look at the region:
- Taser International Inc. does not only make devices that shock people, they also make eye-level miniature camera systems. Police in Coronado are the first in San Diego County to deploy the technology, according to Pauline Repard at U-T San Diego.
- The Tejon Tribe has regained federal recognition, says Bakersfield Californian writer Lois Henry, who suggests this raises the possibility of a new casino off the 5 Freeway north of the Grapevine.
- 28 applications for solar projects are one of the big items on tap for Imperial County this year. Alejandro Davila rounds up all the big 2012 issues in the county at the Imperial Valley Press.
- Two rail lines and a rapid bus transit project in the Inland Empire are expected to be in design or under construction this year, says Dug Begley at The Press-Enterprise.
- With three slayings of homeless men in Orange County over the last month, three local police departments are teaming up to warn communities. Matt Coker at OC Weekly has the details.