Producer | KCET
POSITION TITLE: Producer
DEPARTMENT: Content Development and Production
CLASSIFICATION: Regular, Full Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chief Creative Officer
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with Experience
BENEFITS: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan and Professional Development Opportunities
Work With Purpose!
Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC) is looking for a talented Producer to join our organization. If you are an experienced Producer, with the ability to source ideas and execute high-quality stories, then send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org today!
About Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC)
Public Media Group of Southern California (KCET, PBS SoCal and LINK TV) tell stories that matter through original programs that reflect the diversity of the region, and the full schedule of trusted PBS programs. Our content channels – KCET and PBS SoCal – are available for free on internet – connected screens and seven local broadcast channels. LINK TV can be accessed through national satellite channels.
A donor-supported community institution, PMGSC sparks the sharing of ideas at in-person cultural events and community conversations and delivers social impact through services that prepare our most vulnerable children for school.
The Producer will develop and produce smart, original content for PMGSC’s multiple distribution channels, on broadcast and digital platforms, with a heavy emphasis on unscripted format video, as well as studio production. The ideal candidate should be a digitally literate and socially savvy producer. Additionally, the Producer will manage the selection and delivery of greenlit series(s) selected for “Presenting Station” status for PMGSC.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Chief Content Officer and the Sr. Director of Production to develop and plan for the execution of approved programs and stories.
- Oversee all aspects of approved productions, from development, to post, manage staff and contractors who work on various shows, provide daily supervision for segment producers, editors and editorial staff
- Serve as a main point of contact and communication with outside filmmakers for local and national submissions of series selected for “Presenting Station” status.
- Review program submissions and advance programs and series to direct supervisor with notes and recommendations for rejection or acceptance.
- Use critical, editorial judgment to determine a program’s appropriateness for PMGSC, the public television system and scheduling.
- Identify outside sources of content that support the PMGSC mission.
- Proactively reach out to program producers/prospects in order to secure local broadcast or co-production/Presenting Station contracts.
- Manage program development process including letters of interest, contracts, production schedules, delivery schedules and budgets.
- Work closely with Production Management to create production budgets and monitor expenses to stay within budgets
- Work closely with PMGSC development staff on fundraising for the series (s)
- Work closely with PMGSC comms department to market and promote the series (s)
- Continuously monitor all projects in progress with regard to time lines, budgets, update meetings, etc.
- Work closely with colleagues to jointly meet company-wide goals
- Attend meetings and events as requested, including evenings and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree or related field preferred
- 10+ years of experience in either the commercial or public broadcasting
- Must have an understanding of the media environment and ample production and content development experience.
- Ability to perform under stress, flexibility, as well as an awareness of the importance of maintaining relationships with key external and internal producers/companies
- Must be extremely goal-oriented with the ability to prioritize
- Current experience as a producer of programs, with credits on unscripted productions.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in television management, particularly the production, pre-production and post-production of long form documentary, episodic series and/or digital programming.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Proficient with video editing software.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to multi-task with accuracy and to meet deadlines
Equal Opportunity Employer
PMGSC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.