California Assigns Prop Numbers for November 2012 Election | KCET
California Assigns Prop Numbers for November 2012 Election
California, here are your prop numbers for the November 2012 election. With 11 on the ballot, it's a big one. Three deal with taxes, three are on criminal justice issues, three would leave effects on the legislature (all in different ways), and two would affect the consumer market.
Below are the number assignments and language voters will see on their ballot. As a reminder, initiatives are new laws or constitutional amendments initiated by the people (You know when those people are asking you to sign petitions to put something on the ballot? That.), and referendums like Prop 40 are a vote by the people to change existing law.
- Proposition 30: Temporary Taxes to Fund Education. Guaranteed Local Public Safety Funding. Initiative Constitutional Amendment. More info here.
- Proposition 31: State Budget. State and Local Government. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 32: Prohibits Political Contributions by Payroll Deduction. Prohibitions on Contributions to Candidates. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 33: Changes Law to Allow Auto Insurance Companies to Set Prices Based on a Driver's History of Insurance Coverage. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 34: Death Penalty Repeal. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 35: Human Trafficking. Penalties. Sex Offender Registration. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 36: Three Strikes Law. Sentencing for Repeat Felony Offenders. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 37: Genetically Engineered Foods. Mandatory Labeling. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 38: Tax for Education and Early Childhood Programs. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 39: Tax Treatment for Multistate Businesses. Clean Energy and Energy Efficiency Funding. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 40: Redistricting. State Senate Districts. Referendum. | More info here.
If watching birds just isn’t enough for you — and you’d rather join their ranks up there in the sky — here are five of the most exciting ways to get airborne and pretend for a while that you may actually have wings.
We may not have elected a woman president in 2016, but more and more women are gracing the podium and the stage in classical opera. Here are a few stellar examples and what obstacles they faced to get where they are.