California Assigns Prop Numbers for November 2012 Election | KCET
California Assigns Prop Numbers for November 2012 Election
California, here are your prop numbers for the November 2012 election. With 11 on the ballot, it's a big one. Three deal with taxes, three are on criminal justice issues, three would leave effects on the legislature (all in different ways), and two would affect the consumer market.
Below are the number assignments and language voters will see on their ballot. As a reminder, initiatives are new laws or constitutional amendments initiated by the people (You know when those people are asking you to sign petitions to put something on the ballot? That.), and referendums like Prop 40 are a vote by the people to change existing law.
- Proposition 30: Temporary Taxes to Fund Education. Guaranteed Local Public Safety Funding. Initiative Constitutional Amendment. More info here.
- Proposition 31: State Budget. State and Local Government. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 32: Prohibits Political Contributions by Payroll Deduction. Prohibitions on Contributions to Candidates. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 33: Changes Law to Allow Auto Insurance Companies to Set Prices Based on a Driver's History of Insurance Coverage. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 34: Death Penalty Repeal. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 35: Human Trafficking. Penalties. Sex Offender Registration. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 36: Three Strikes Law. Sentencing for Repeat Felony Offenders. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 37: Genetically Engineered Foods. Mandatory Labeling. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 38: Tax for Education and Early Childhood Programs. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 39: Tax Treatment for Multistate Businesses. Clean Energy and Energy Efficiency Funding. Initiative Statute. | More info here.
- Proposition 40: Redistricting. State Senate Districts. Referendum. | More info here.
Deportations, Assassinations, and Dictator Nations: A Timeline of U.S. Intervention in Latin America
A timeline of major events in history that have impacted the Latino presence in the U.S.
The Program for Torture Victims helps survivors of torture find new life in America. PTV helped more than 300 clients in Southern California last year, and nearly all of them are also applying for asylum. As the asylum process becomes more difficult, so d
The world is experiencing the most significant refugee crisis since World War II. One in every 113 people on the planet is now a refugee. Around the world, someone is displaced every three seconds, forced from home by violence, war or persecution.
Images have just been released of a tent facility built in Tornillo, Texas which may be used to accommodate dozens of teenagers, some of whom have been separated from the parents.
- 1 of 60
- next ›