Nahai Out at DWP; Will Still Get Paid | KCET
Nahai Out at DWP; Will Still Get Paid
The embattled David Nahai has resigned from his post as chief at the Department of Water and Power; he'll still draw the same exec salary as a consultant for the rest of the year.
City councilman Dennis Zine, for one, thinks it's a sweetheart deal that costs the taxpayers too much in these financially strapped times; the DWP says it's standard procedure, necessary when an outgoing chiefs institutional knowledge is still important.
The latest from the L.A. Times on the transition. Excerpts:
The mayor has asked the commission to name Deputy Mayor S. David Freeman, a former DWP general manager, as the utility's top executive for the next six months....
When Nahai announced his departure on Friday, he said his resignation was effective immediately. In the weeks leading up to that announcement, he had lost significant support from Villaraigosa's office and had been under fire from the DWP's powerful employee union....
The new consulting proposal bears some similarities to a 2004 plan by former Mayor James K. Hahn's administration to give a departing executive at the Port of Los Angeles a contract paying $540,000 over three years. That plan drew so much fire that it was not approved.
[DWP commission President Lee Kanon] Alpert said Nahai's contract does not require a vote by the commission. Nevertheless, he said he wanted the matter on today's commission agenda for the sake of transparency.
Alpert gave differing answers, however, on how the consulting contract was developed. At one point, he said he personally asked Nahai to be a consultant. At another, he said he could not say who came up with the idea, calling such information "irrelevant."
This Daily News article contains a list of similar examples of high L.A. officials getting high-paying contracts after leaving their jobs.
Unless politicians strengthen emergency tenant protection laws to include forgiveness for back rent owed, experts and advocates warn that Los Angeles (and California) could see a huge surge in homelessness in the near future.
When the "Safer at Home" orders went into effect, there was worry for the community's seniors, a cohort that tends to shop on an as-needed basis, often on foot, in the few dozen square blocks in and around Chinatown or Lincoln Heights.
Fifteen more deaths from coronavirus were reported today in Los Angeles County, raising the total to 147, while the overall number of cases went up by 420 as the county entered what officials expect to be one of the worst weeks in terms of virus spread.
Los Angeles McDonald’s Restaurant Workers Strike, Demand Sick Leave After Co-Worker Tests Positive for COVID-19
Workers at a Los Angeles McDonald's restaurant walked off their jobs Monday for a second day, demanding the company pay them for two weeks while they self-quarantine following the disclosure that a female co-worker tested positive for COVID-19.
- 1 of 259
- next ›