Recipe: Sprouted Wheat Berry Salad | KCET
Recipe: Sprouted Wheat Berry Salad
If you've ever had sprouted grains such as wheat, spelt, or farro, you'll know that they are wonderfully chewy with a sweet, nutty flavor. They also don't require any cooking, so you can eat them raw in dishes such as this fresh, Mediterranean-inspired salad. Add some grilled meat or vegetables on the side and you have a excellent summer meal.
You can easily make sprouted grains at home (see instructions at the end of the recipe), or buy them at farmers' markets from local vendors like Jazzy Sprouts and Bolaños Family Sprouts. If you prefer cooked grains, those work nicely, too.
Sprouted Wheat Berry Salad
- 2 cups sprouted wheat, spelt, or farro berries (can substitute cooked grains)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 ounces diced feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, sumac, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the wheat berries and stir to coat well. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
Salad can be made 1 day ahead and chilled.
To sprout wheat, spelt, or farro berries:
- Rinse and drain 1/2 cup whole grains (make sure they are not hulled, husked, or pearled).
- Place them in a bowl and cover with water by a couple inches; let stand overnight.
- Drain and rinse in a wire-mesh strainer. Place the strainer over a bowl to catch excess water. (Alternatively, place the grains in a 1-quart jar with a sprouting lid and invert over a bowl.)
- Twice a day, rinse the grains and drain excess water. The grains should sprout in 1 to 3 days. You can use them as soon the sprouts have just emerged or wait for the "tails" to grow up to 1/4 inch long.
- Rinse and drain before using and store unused grains in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Two assistant U.S. attorneys will serve as District Election Officers for the Central District of California for this year's general election.
The Watts Towers Day of the Drum and Simon Rodia Jazz Festivals have been bringing together cultures for generations.
When we feel lonely, a simple call from someone who cares can truly help. For artists, Kristy Edmunds is that kindred spirit. For her, kindness can manifest in the care artists put into performances or the help we can give by comissioning work.
The San Diego County Registrar of Voters has received more than 560,000 ballots, it was announced, more than three times the amount received at this point before the 2016 election.
- 1 of 375
- next ›