Royally Fun: 9 Pubs for Will and Kate's Big Day | KCET
Royally Fun: 9 Pubs for Will and Kate's Big Day
The big day is finally here for Prince William and his long-term commoner girlfriend, Kate Middleton, and the world is gearing up to watch the grandeur and pageantry via live satellite. Or, at least a recorded version since the actual wedding takes place at 3 a.m. our time on Friday. Are these nuptials bigger than Diana and Charles? Watch for yourself: Some of our local English pubs are really getting into the spirit, cake and Champagne included. Here's what's happening tonight and tomorrow:
1. Thursday night, there will be happy hour specials all night long at The Cat & Fiddle in Hollywood. But after midnight, when the bar closes to the public, don your best PJs and tiaras for the Royal Wedding slumber party hosted by Brits in LA. The wedding will be shown live, there will be proper English snacks, plus drinks specials (until 2am, when the bar stops serving alcohol) The party goes until 4am. Buy tickets ($20) here. 6530 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood; (323) 468-3800
Watch the Royal Wedding on KCET!
3. The Fox and Hounds is throwing a bachelor party for Will on Thursday night (9 p.m.), with go-go dancers, $2 Guinness and and $3 "bridesmaid" shots. On Friday, the wedding will be re-run all day on big-screen TVs, with complimentary wedding cake, $1 Champagne, and wedding decorations. Tiaras optional. The pub opens at 10 a.m. on Friday. 11100 Ventura Blvd., Studio City; (818) 763-7837
4. You have two opportunities to catch the recorded wedding at Ye Old King's Head Pub in Santa Monica on Friday: During breakfast (9 to 11 a.m.) and again for high tea (noon to 2 p.m.). If you order the king-size breakfast (eggs, bacon, bangers, potatoes, beans and tomatoes), you get complimentary Champagne and a slice of cake. A Beatles tribute band keeps the party going through the night (starts at 8 p.m.).116 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica; (310) 451-1402
5. No one's staying up through the night at Santa Monica's other English pub, the Cock & Bull, but you can catch the wedding on the tellie all day. That should make a nice backdrop for your hearty English breakfast: The pub opens at 10 a.m. 2947 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica; (310) 399-9696
6. In San Pedro, The Whale & Ale will have slices of cake and complimentary Champagne for parties of four or more in the dining room on Friday. In the pub, the TV will be looping the wedding all day. 327 W. 7th St., San Pedro; (310) 832-0363
7. The Olde Ship in Santa Ana will re-air the wedding for breakfast on Friday, beginning at 9 a.m., and again for tea at 2 p.m. There will be gift raffles and a few menu specials. 1120 West 17th St., Santa Ana; (714) 550-6700
8. The Crown & Anchor in Thousand Oaks will air the pre-recorded wedding all day on Friday beginning at 11 a.m. There will be scones, crumpets, clotted cream, finger sandwiches and tea--all the proper accoutrements to see the new Duke and Duchess tie the knot. 2891 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., Thousand Oaks; (805) 497-0070
9. Buchanan Arms in Burbank goes all out on Saturday with a Royal Wedding menu, which includes and entree (your choice of fish and chips, cottage pie, pan-seared chicken, or roast beef with Yorkshire pudding) and dessert--either Will's groom's cake (McVitie's chocolate cake) or Kate's fave (sticky toffee pudding)--all for $20. The televised ceremony will serve as entertainment. 2013 W. Burbank Blvd., Burbank; (818) 845-0692
If watching birds just isn’t enough for you — and you’d rather join their ranks up there in the sky — here are five of the most exciting ways to get airborne and pretend for a while that you may actually have wings.