Thanksgiving Recipe: Szechwan Long Beans With Pink Peppercorn | KCET
Thanksgiving Recipe: Szechwan Long Beans With Pink Peppercorn
Megan Logan, the executive chef at L.A. establishment Nick + Stef's, created this dish once upon a time ... and it's been a customer favorite ever since. It would make a great addition to any holiday spread, especially because the flavors are just a touch unexpected. This recipe is obviously meant for an enormous crowd; decrease as necessary!
Szechwan Long Beans with Pink Peppercorn
Serves a huge amount of people
3 cups garlic, chopped
3 cups ginger, chopped
3 cups scallions, chopped
1 L light soy sauce
½ cup sambal
3 cups rice wine vinegar
1 cup sesame oil
4 cups brown sugar packed
5 lb long beans, cut in 4-inch pieces
1. For the beans: Heat up canola oil in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat to 350º.
2. Once oil is heated, place long beans for 30 seconds or until crispy, being careful not to overcook. Remove beans from oil and dry on paper towels.
3. For the sauce: Place ginger, scallions and garlic in a food processor and puree.
4. Add soy sauce and puree another minute.
5. In a separate bowl, combine sambal, rice vinegar, sesame oil and brown sugar.
6. Add mixture from food processor and whisk to combine.
7. Toss the beans with the Szechwan sauce until coated and sprinkle with a handful of pink peppercorns.
Want recipes and food news emailed directly to you? Sign up for the new Food newsletter here!
If watching birds just isn’t enough for you — and you’d rather join their ranks up there in the sky — here are five of the most exciting ways to get airborne and pretend for a while that you may actually have wings.