The KCET Food and Farmer's Kitchen Recipe Contest: Apples | KCET
The KCET Food and Farmer's Kitchen Recipe Contest: Apples
Summer gets all the credit for great fruit around these parts, but as much as we love stone fruits, as the weather turns cooler we warmly embrace the whole glorious range of apples that crop up. And so, KCET Food and The Farmer's Kitchen has chosen this splendid fruit as our next recipe contest star ingredient!
Send us your favorite apple-based recipe, be it sweet or savory, simple or complicated, raw or cooked. The creator of our very favorite recipe will win a gift basket full of goods made in Southern California, including:
- A selection of teas from Art of Tea in Monterey Park: Apple Pie, Apple Tea'ni, Cinnamon Fig and Cherry Amaretto.
- A jar of raw Angeles Crest Wild Flower Honey from Klausesbees in Tehachapi.
- A jar of sriracha ketchup from Single Bee Preserves in Los Angeles.
- Two cans of olives from Graber Olive House in Ontario.
- A selection of autumnally delicious spices from Spice Station in Los Angeles.
No recipe is too simple or too complicated; they're all contenders. Just be sure to submit the recipe by noon on Monday, November 5, 2012.
Leave it in the comments section below or email it to Living editor Katherine Spiers by the deadline (November 5 at noon). We'll spend the week with Chef Ernest Miller of the HFK cooking and tasting the submissions, and the winner will be announced at noon on November 12. For official contest rules, visit this link.
If watching birds just isn’t enough for you — and you’d rather join their ranks up there in the sky — here are five of the most exciting ways to get airborne and pretend for a while that you may actually have wings.
We may not have elected a woman president in 2016, but more and more women are gracing the podium and the stage in classical opera. Here are a few stellar examples and what obstacles they faced to get where they are.