The KCET Food Recipe Contest: Eggplant! | KCET
The KCET Food Recipe Contest: Eggplant!
The contest is now closed. The winner will be announced on Friday, June 29!
Are you ready for the summer produce season?
Are you ready to put your best eggplant recipe to the test?
Join KCET Food in celebrating the gorgeous nightshade that grows so well in Southland summers by sharing a recipe that highlights eggplant's rich, earthy flavor. The vegetable is bountiful at Southern California farmers' market now and for the next couple of months (the specimens in the photos are from the Malibu and Palisades farmers' markets), so buy local if you're able!
The creator of our very favorite recipe will win a gift basket full of foods made in Southern California, including:
- A jar each of Champagne Garlic and Hong Kong Habanero mustards from San Diego's Sono Trading Company
- Three different chocolate brittles (with ingredients like bourbon and smoked salt and herbes de Provence) from Morning Glory Confections in L.A.
- A selection of gluten-free protein bars from Culver City's Papa Steve's Bars.
- Cascabel sauce, Red Mole, and Black Mole from San Angel Mole in L.A.
- A set of summery salts and spices from Spice Station in L.A.'s Silver Lake neighborhood.
No recipe is too simple or too complicated; as long as eggplant is a primary ingredient, it's a contender. Just be sure to submit the recipe by 3 p.m. on Friday, June 22, 2012.
Leave it in the comments section below or email it to
Living editor Katherine Spiers by the deadline. We'll spend the week cooking and tasting every submission, and the winner will be announced at noon on June 29.
Huell investigates a onetime tradition, the Yosemite Firefall, and experiences the natural version of the "Firefall" at Horsetail Fall. Huell calls it "one of the most magnificent sights you'll ever see in your life."
Deportations, Assassinations, and Dictator Nations: A Timeline of U.S. Intervention in Latin America