Weekend Recipe: Bean and Beef Taquitos with Avocado Sauce | KCET
Weekend Recipe: Bean and Beef Taquitos with Avocado Sauce
This taquito recipe from Cook's Country is easy-to-make and provides delicious handheld appetizers that are usually the first to go during happy hour.
Adding mashed pinto beans to the seasoned ground beef filling and rolling the taquitos tightly helps the filling hold together and absorb a minimum of oil during frying. Sealing the edge with egg wash offers extra insurance, and frying in a mere cup of oil (so the seam side will come in contact with the bottom of the pan), prevents the taquitos from unrolling as they cook. Our creamy avocado sauce comes together in only minutes.
Bean and Beef Taquitos with Avocado Sauce
Makes 12 taquitos
1 cup plus 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
8 ounces 90 percent lean ground beef
1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed
1 onion, halved and sliced thin
2 jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 avocados, halved, pitted, and chopped coarse
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons lime juice (2 limes)
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper
1. FOR THE TAQUITOS: Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add beef and cook, breaking up pieces with spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain beef in colander; set aside. Mash beans to paste with potato masher or fork; set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in jalapeños, garlic, cumin, and chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in mashed beans, tomato sauce, water, cilantro, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Stir in drained beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened and begins to sizzle, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to bowl; set aside to cool, about 20 minutes.
3. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set wire rack inside second rimmed baking sheet. Wrap 6 tortillas in clean, damp kitchen towel; place on plate; and cover plate tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave until hot and pliable, about 90 seconds. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, brush edges of top half with egg. Place row of 3 level tablespoons filling across lower half of tortilla. Fold bottom of tortilla up and over filling, then pull back on tortilla to tighten it around filling. Roll tightly and place seam side down on lined baking sheet. Cover with second clean damp towel. Microwave remaining 6 tortillas and repeat with remaining filling. (Taquitos can be made up to 24 hours ahead, covered with damp towel, wrapped tightly in plastic, and refrigerated.)
4. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Heat remaining 1 cup oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until 350 degrees. Using tongs, place 6 taquitos, seam side down, in oil and fry until golden, about 5 minutes. Flip and fry until second side is golden, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to wire rack and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 6 taquitos.
5. FOR THE AVOCADO SAUCE: Meanwhile, combine avocados, sour cream, water, lime juice, and cilantro in bowl and mash with potato masher or fork until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic until ready to serve. Serve taquitos with sauce.
Want recipes and food news emailed directly to you? Sign up for the new Food newsletter here!
A Q&A will immediately follow the screening with director Alfonso Gómez-Rejón.
Raúl Juliá is vital in exemplifying the beauty, grace, talent, and power of Puerto Ricans.
Raúl Juliá wasn’t just an actor; he was also a singer, an activist, a loving father and he was always a consummate artist.
Learn where to find some of the most significant desert oases in the world.
- 1 of 203
- next ›