Recipe: Grilled Mojo-Marinated Skirt Steak | KCET
Recipe: Grilled Mojo-Marinated Skirt Steak
This recipe is courtesy of America's Test Kitchen from Cook's Illustrated.
Grilled Mojo-Marinated Skirt Steak
Serves 4 to 6
Skirt steaks come from two different muscles and are sometimes labeled as inside skirt steak or outside skirt steak. The more desirable outside skirt steak measures 3 to 4 inches wide and ½ to 1 inch thick. Avoid the inside skirt steak, which typically measures 5 to 7 inches wide and ¼ to ½ inch thick, as it is very chewy. Skirt steak is most tender when cooked to medium (130 to 135 degrees). Thin steaks cook very quickly, so we recommend using an instant-read thermometer for a quick and accurate measurement.
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus ¼ cup juice (2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest plus ½ cup juice
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and cut with grain into 6- to 8-inch-long steaks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Combine garlic, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons lime juice, cumin, oregano, ¾ teaspoon salt, orange juice, and pepper flakes in 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Place steaks in dish. Flip steaks to coat both sides with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, flipping steaks halfway through refrigerating.
2. Remove steaks from marinade and transfer marinade to small saucepan. Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Combine 1 tablespoon oil and baking soda in small bowl. Rub oil mixture evenly onto both sides of each steak.
3. Bring marinade to boil over high heat and boil for 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl and stir in lime zest, orange zest, remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Set aside sauce.
4A. For a charcoal grill: About 25 minutes before grilling, open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (6 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour evenly over half of grill. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
4B. For a gas grill: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn off 1 burner (if using grill with more than 2 burners, turn off burner farthest from primary burner) and leave other burner(s) on high.
5. Clean and oil cooking grate. Cook steaks on hotter side of grill until well browned and meat registers 130 to 135 degrees (for medium), 2 to 4 minutes per side. (Move steaks to cooler side of grill before taking temperature to prevent them from overcooking.) Transfer steaks to cutting board, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut steaks on bias against grain into ½-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices on serving platter, drizzle with 2 tablespoons sauce, and serve, passing extra sauce separately.
El virus está aumentando en las cárceles superpobladas de California a medida que se ralentizan las primeras liberaciones. Y las cárceles del condado están luchando con una acumulación de reclusos que esperan ser transferidos a instalaciones estatales.
The virus is surging in California’s overcrowded prisons as early releases slow. And county jails are struggling with a backlog of inmates awaiting transfers to state facilities.
After decades of being primarily “nomadic,” Danza Floricanto/USA finds a new home in Boyle Heights during an unprecedented pandemic.
The team behind Band of Vices has been a longtime champion of bringing diverse artists into the fold.
ulia and Bridget uncover the secrets to making the perfect Pane Francese at home, and equipment expert Adam Ried reviews his top pick for fine-mesh strainers.
Test cook Keith Dresser makes Bridget an updated recipe for an Italian staple: Chicken Piccata.
In this episode, Julia and Bridget unlock the secrets to the ultimate roast chicken with warm bread salad.
Bridget and Julia uncover the secrets to making foolproof all-butter pie dough and chocolate cream pie.
In this episode, test cook Elle Simone makes Bridget the ultimate deviled pork chops.