Recipe: Roast Chicken with Warm Bread Salad | KCET
Recipe: Roast Chicken with Warm Bread Salad
This recipe is courtesy of America's Test Kitchen from Cook's Illustrated.
Roast Chicken with Warm Bread Salad
Serves 4 to 6
Note that this recipe requires refrigerating the seasoned chicken for 24 hours. This recipe was developed and tested using Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt. If you have Morton Kosher Salt, which is denser than Diamond Crystal, put only 1/2 teaspoon of salt onto the cavity. Red wine or white wine vinegar may be substituted for champagne vinegar, if desired. For the bread, we prefer a round rustic loaf with a chewy, open crumb and a sturdy outer crust.
- 1 (4-pound) whole chickens, giblets discarded
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 4 (1-inch-thick) slices country-style bread (8 ounces), bottom crust removed, cut into ¾- to 1-inch pieces (5 cups)
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 5 ounces (5 cups) baby arugula
1. Place chicken, breast side down, on cutting board. Using kitchen shears, cut through bones on either side of backbone; discard backbone. Do not trim off any excess fat or skin. Flip chicken over and press on breastbone to flatten.
2. Using your fingers, carefully loosen skin covering breast and legs. Rub ½ teaspoon salt under skin of each breast, ½ teaspoon under skin of each leg, and 1 teaspoon salt onto bird's cavity. Tuck wings behind back and turn legs so drumsticks face inward toward breasts. Place chicken on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet or on large plate and refrigerate, uncovered, for 24 hours.
3. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Spray 12-inch skillet with vegetable oil spray. Toss bread with broth and 2 tablespoons oil until pieces are evenly moistened. Arrange bread in skillet in single layer, with majority of crusted pieces near center, crust side up.
4. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and place, skin side up, on top of bread. Brush 2 teaspoons oil over chicken skin and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast chicken until skin is deep golden brown and thickest part of breast registers 160 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees, 45 to 50 minutes, rotating skillet halfway through roasting.
5. While chicken roasts, whisk vinegar, mustard, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper together in small bowl. Slowly whisk in remaining ¼ cup oil. Stir in scallions and currants and set aside. Place arugula in large bowl.
6. Transfer chicken to carving board and let rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Run thin metal spatula under bread to loosen from bottom of skillet. (Bread should be mix of softened, golden-brown, and crunchy pieces.) Carve chicken and whisk any accumulated juices into vinaigrette. Add bread and vinaigrette to arugula and toss to evenly coat. Transfer salad to serving platter and serve with chicken.
Here are the five most fascinating dam sites of Los Angeles, both past and present.
Following a screening of "This Changes Everything," executive producer and actor Geena Davis and director Tom Donahue attended a Q&A hosted by Cinema Series host Pete Hammond.
Even though black men served as pilots for France in WWl, many Americans thought black men were incapable of becoming pilots to fight in WWII, but the Tuskegee Airmen proved them wrong.
Ever since his first flight, William J. Powell became infatuated with aviation. He saw it as a way for African American men and women to soar far above a racist world.
- 1 of 188
- next ›
Test cook Lan Lam makes Bridget the ultimate Grilled Mojo-Marinated Skirt Steak.
Hosts Bridget and Julia unlock the secrets to making the ultimate Vietnamese Grilled Pork Patties on the grill.
ulia and Bridget uncover the secrets to making the perfect Pane Francese at home, and equipment expert Adam Ried reviews his top pick for fine-mesh strainers.
Test cook Keith Dresser makes Bridget an updated recipe for an Italian staple: Chicken Piccata.
In this episode, Julia and Bridget unlock the secrets to the ultimate roast chicken with warm bread salad.
- 1 of 10
- next ›