The Hammer Museum's biennial art festival has announced its 2016 roster, hand-picked by curators Hamza Walker and Aram Moshayedi. Made in L.A. 2016: a, the, though, only is on view June 12 - August 28.
In past years, the biennial has showcased a panoply of artists born and raised in Los Angeles, but this year's smaller roster features a wide swath of artists from around the world, reflecting the global nature of the Southern California megalopolis.
The 26 artists were selected from regions across the Southland including five native Angeleno creatives: multimedia artist Todd Gray, digital provocateur Guthrie Lonergan, performance artist Rafa Esparza, sculptor Kelly Akashi, and video artist Martine Syms, who helped create Artbound's "Mundane Afrofuturist Manifesto" episode.
The selected artists represent a relatively diverse range of ethnicities, and most were born in the 1980s. Expanding the ever-malleable definition of what is traditionally considered as art, Made in L.A. will offer many different disciplines, from Gray's everyday performance piece -- where he will wear the clothes of late Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek -- to the collage mood books created by Spike Lee cinematographer Arthur Jafa.
Check out the entire list of biennial participants below, and discover more about some of the artists who have been featured on Artbound.
• Kelly Akashi (b. 1983, Los Angeles)
• Huguette Caland (b. 1931, Beirut, Lebanon)
• Eckhaus Latta (est. 2011; Zoe Latta, b. 1987, Santa Cruz; Mike Eckhaus, b. 1987, New York)
• Rafa Esparza (b. 1981, Los Angeles)
• Lauren Davis Fisher (b. 1984, Cambridge, Mass.)
• Todd Gray (b. 1954, Los Angeles)
• Joel Holmberg (b. 1982, Bethesda, Md.)
• Margaret Honda (b. 1961, San Diego)
• Arthur Jafa (b. 1960, Tupelo, Miss.)
• Labor Link TV (est. 1988; Fred Lonidier, b. 1942, Lakeview, Ore.)
• Laida Lertxundi (b. 1981, Bilbao, Spain)
• Adam Linder (b. 1983, Sydney, Australia)
• Guthrie Lonergan (b. 1984, Los Angeles)
• Rebecca Morris (b.1969, Honolulu)
• Shahryar Nashat (b. 1975, Geneva)
• Silke Otto-Knapp (b.1970, Osnabrück, Germany)
• Gala Porras-Kim (b. 1984, Bogotá, Colombia)
• Sterling Ruby (b. 1972, Bitburg, Germany)
• Aram Saroyan (b. 1943, New York)
• Kenzi Shiokava (b. 1938, São Paulo, Brazil)
• Daniel R. Small (b.1984, Centralia, Ill.)
• Wadada Leo Smith (b.1941, Leland, Miss.)
• Martine Syms (b. 1988, Los Angeles)
• Kenneth Tam (b. 1982, New York)
• Mark Verabioff (b. 1963, Kingston, Canada)
• Dena Yago (b. 1988, New York)
Top Image: Made in L.A. 2016 | Courtesy of the Hammer Museum