y1bpaee-show-poster2x3-VRIQZQC.jpg

Us

Start watching
Key Art of "Summer of Rockets" featuring Keeley Hawes and Toby Stephens.

Summer of Rockets

Start watching
6HWbNHN-show-poster2x3-c7tgE2Y.png

Artbound

Start watching
FZG3mkG-show-poster2x3-nOossfs.png

SoCal Update

Start watching
Death in Paradise Series 10

Death in Paradise

Start watching
millionaire still

KCET Must See Movies

Start watching
MZihTLV-show-poster2x3-5CKaGu8.jpg

Independent Lens

Start watching
MJ250sC-show-poster2x3-Bflky7i.png

Tending Nature

Start watching
Southland Sessions

Southland Sessions

Start watching
HvlSxHY-show-poster2x3-4ik43uV.png

Earth Focus

Start watching
City Rising

City Rising

Start watching
Lost LA

Lost LA

Start watching
Member
Your donation supports our high-quality, inspiring and commercial-free programming.
Support Icon
Learn about the many ways to support KCET.
Support Icon
Contact our Leadership, Advancement, Membership and Special Events teams.

When Knott’s Berry Farm Was an Actual Farm

Knott's Berry Farm (header)
Support Provided By

Orange County was more farmland than suburb – a landscape of orange groves and cow pastures rather than tract houses and fairy-tale castles – when Walter Knott opened his first roadside produce stand in 1923. The dusty highway passing through Knott’s berry farm was fast becoming the principal route between Los Angeles and the beach cities of the Orange Coast, and shore-bound motorists discovered the farmer’s humble wooden shack – located near the midpoint of their drive – as a place to momentarily escape the automobile and sample Knott’s farm-fresh berries and preserves.

As traffic increased, the enterprising farmer expanded his roadside accommodations. In 1928 Knott replaced the rustic shack with a stucco building that housed a tea room and berry market, stocked with Knott's famous boysenberries (a locally invented hybrid). Later, Depression-era financial hardship forced Walter’s wife Cordelia to open Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant next door. Serving fried chicken and warm berry pies, the restaurant became so popular – in 1940 it averaged 4,000 chicken dinners each Sunday – that the Knotts began adding diversions to entertain the hungry crowds. A 20-foot artificial volcano belched steam from its summit. A Ghost Town Village reproduced (in sentimentalized form) the frontier settlements of the American West. Rides soon followed. By the time visitors started paying an admission fee in 1968, suburbia had displaced arcadia in Buena Park, and Knott’s had become a farm in name only.

Knott's Berry Farm roadside fruit stand, circa 1926
Knott's Berry Farm's humble origins? A roadside fruit stand along the highway between Los Angeles and the beach. Circa 1926 photo courtesy of the Orange County Archives.
Knott's Berry Place, circa 1933
In 1928, Knott replaced his wooden roadside stand with a more permanent stucco building. He continued to sell fresh berries and preserves, but now also offered berry plants to his customer from his nursery. Circa 1933 photo courtesy of the Orange County Archives.
Walter Knott with his famous boysenberries
Walter Knott, pictured here in 1948, popularized the boysenberry, a hybrid fruit first cultivated in nearby Anaheim by Charles Rudolph Boysen. Photo courtesy of the Orange County Archives.

Ghost Town, Knott's Berry Farm, 1940s
By the 1940s, Knott had built a sentimentalized version of a frontier town, his Ghost Town, to entertain diners as they waited for his wife's famous chicken dinner. Photo courtesy of the Orange County Archives.
Aerial view of Knott's Berry Farm, 1937
Aerial view of Knott's Berry Farm in 1937, courtesy of the Orange County Archives.
Aerial view of Knott's Berry Farm, 1961
Aerial view of Knott's Berry Farm in 1961, far into its evolution from actual farm concern to amusement park, courtesy of the Orange County Archives.
Replica of Knott's Berry Farm roadside stand
Decades later, Cordelia and Walter Knott stand outside a replica of one of their early roadside fruit stands in this undated photo courtesy of the Orange County Archives.

This article first appeared on Los Angeles magazine's website on October 16, 2013. It has been updated here with additional images.

Support Provided By
Read More
A coloring page created by the Los Angeles Public Library's Octavia Lab. An illustration of Manuela C. García sitting next to a phonograph. Behind her is a faint sheet music background.

Manuela C. García, the Voice Behind a Treasure Trove of Old Mexican Songs

Born in Los Angeles in the late 1860s, Manuela C. García is the voice behind over 100 songs in Charles Lummis' recordings of Southwest musical heritage. Known mostly by historians specializing in 19th-century Mexican American music, her voice connects California's present musical history with its past.
 Charles Alston (left) and Hale Woodruff at Beckwourth Pass

How Two African American Artists Explored the Roots of Racism on the West Coast

When Golden State Mutual Life Insurance commissioned artists Charles Alston and Hale Woodruff to design a home office building, the duo traveled across California to retrace the steps of the region's Black explorers, settlers and leaders. Their mission? To design a headquarters for GSM that looked to California's future and recovered an erased Black past.
An image of the French district in downtown Los Angeles. The image shows Aliso Street in downtown Los Angeles, California, with signs labeling buildings "Griffins Transfer and Storage Co." and "Cafe des Alpes" next to "Eden Hotel," which are located on opposite corners of Aliso and Alameda Streets. A Pacific Electric streetcar sign reads "Sierra Madre" and automobiles and horse-drawn wagons are seen in the dirt road.

What Cinco de Mayo Has to do with the French in Early L.A.

Cinco de Mayo is often celebrated wrongly as Mexican Independence Day, but a dig into the historical landscape of Los Angeles in the early 19th century reveals a complex relationship of French émigrés with a Mexican Los Angeles.