Island Congee with Coconut Milk Braised Pork Shoulder | KCET
Island Congee with Coconut Milk Braised Pork Shoulder
Chef Mei Lin explores the fusion of Asian and American flavors in her Island Congee with Coconut Milk-braised Pork Shoulder dish.
1 cup jasmine rice
½ cup small yellow onion, small dice
2 tablespoon ginger, minced
10 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
For pork shoulder
2 lbs. pork shoulder
1 yellow onion, quartered
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 jalapeño, sliced
1 thumb size ginger, grated
4 cans coconut milk
For Finadene sauce
1/8 cup coconut vinegar
1/8 cup lime juice
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoon scallions, chopped
2 tablespoon cilantro stems, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon Thai bird chili, chopped (Serrano will also work)
Small knob of Palm sugar (if unavailable, brown sugar is fine)
Shaved scallion tops
Picked cilantro leaves
More Meals Ready to Eat stories
1. In a 6 quart sauce pot, toast the jasmine rice with onion & ginger with 1 tablespoon of Canola Oil.
2. Add stock and cook until thick; at least 1 hour.
3. Stir every 5-7 minutes to ensure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.
1. In a pressure cooker, add 2 tablespoons of oil, and sear the pork shoulder on all sides.
2. Add the vegetables, caramelize, and add coconut milk.
3. Pressure cook for 45 minutes under pressure.
1. Add palm sugar, garlic, ginger, shallot, Thai bird chili, scallions, pound with a mortar and pestle.
2. Then mix with all remaining ingredients.
1. Fill large-mouth bowl halfway with Congee and place pieces of pork on top.
2. Top with spoonfuls of the Finadene sauce to taste. Add your optional garnishes. Serve hot.
All images by Carla Choy
Enjoy this recipe? Get the downloadable recipe booklet from "Meals Ready to Eat" with this link.
KCET Food Newsletter Signup
“Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power 1963-1983" creates constellations of relationships that succeed in giving viewers a deeper appreciation of the multiple concerns of African American artists then, which still reverberate today.
Following a screening of "Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché," writer/director/producer Pamela B. Green attended a Q&A hosted by Cinema Series host Pete Hammond.
"Artbound" gives away three copies of "Vireo: The Spiritual Biography of a Witch’s Accuser" composed and conceived by Lisa Bielawa. Enter to win.
Harrelson and Costner are 'The Highwaymen' Hunting Bonnie and Clyde at the Spring KCET Cinema Series on March 26
A Q&A will immediately follow the screening with director John Lee Hancock.
- 1 of 148
- next ›