Island Congee with Coconut Milk Braised Pork Shoulder | KCET
Island Congee with Coconut Milk Braised Pork Shoulder
Chef Mei Lin explores the fusion of Asian and American flavors in her Island Congee with Coconut Milk-braised Pork Shoulder dish.
1 cup jasmine rice
½ cup small yellow onion, small dice
2 tablespoon ginger, minced
10 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
For pork shoulder
2 lbs. pork shoulder
1 yellow onion, quartered
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 jalapeño, sliced
1 thumb size ginger, grated
4 cans coconut milk
For Finadene sauce
1/8 cup coconut vinegar
1/8 cup lime juice
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoon scallions, chopped
2 tablespoon cilantro stems, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon Thai bird chili, chopped (Serrano will also work)
Small knob of Palm sugar (if unavailable, brown sugar is fine)
Shaved scallion tops
Picked cilantro leaves
More Meals Ready to Eat stories
1. In a 6 quart sauce pot, toast the jasmine rice with onion & ginger with 1 tablespoon of Canola Oil.
2. Add stock and cook until thick; at least 1 hour.
3. Stir every 5-7 minutes to ensure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.
1. In a pressure cooker, add 2 tablespoons of oil, and sear the pork shoulder on all sides.
2. Add the vegetables, caramelize, and add coconut milk.
3. Pressure cook for 45 minutes under pressure.
1. Add palm sugar, garlic, ginger, shallot, Thai bird chili, scallions, pound with a mortar and pestle.
2. Then mix with all remaining ingredients.
1. Fill large-mouth bowl halfway with Congee and place pieces of pork on top.
2. Top with spoonfuls of the Finadene sauce to taste. Add your optional garnishes. Serve hot.
All images by Carla Choy
Enjoy this recipe? Get the downloadable recipe booklet from "Meals Ready to Eat" with this link.
Connect with KCET
Con Barrett en la Corte Suprema, los límites de COVID en las iglesias de California están en peligro legal
Desde marzo, figuras religiosas han intentado (sin lograrlo) convencer que jueces deroguen las restricciones de salud pública de California sobre reuniones masivas como violaciones inconstitucionales de la libertad religiosa. Parece que eso cambiará.
As 2020 draws to a close, small businesses have persevered despite it all ... not only because of SoCal’s innovative culture, but because they’ve figured out how to serve new markets. Meet four business people who have managed to figure it all out.
The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority announced Wednesday that its staff has conducted about 36,000 wellness checks among unhoused people since April by using a mobile app, in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Because of the pandemic, interviews are most commonly conducted online or over the phone, so we’ve got some tips to make the most of your virtual interviews.
- ‹ previous
- 2 of 2