Island Congee with Coconut Milk Braised Pork Shoulder | KCET
Island Congee with Coconut Milk Braised Pork Shoulder
Chef Mei Lin explores the fusion of Asian and American flavors in her Island Congee with Coconut Milk-braised Pork Shoulder dish.
1 cup jasmine rice
½ cup small yellow onion, small dice
2 tablespoon ginger, minced
10 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
For pork shoulder
2 lbs. pork shoulder
1 yellow onion, quartered
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 jalapeño, sliced
1 thumb size ginger, grated
4 cans coconut milk
For Finadene sauce
1/8 cup coconut vinegar
1/8 cup lime juice
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoon scallions, chopped
2 tablespoon cilantro stems, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon Thai bird chili, chopped (Serrano will also work)
Small knob of Palm sugar (if unavailable, brown sugar is fine)
Shaved scallion tops
Picked cilantro leaves
More Meals Ready to Eat stories
1. In a 6 quart sauce pot, toast the jasmine rice with onion & ginger with 1 tablespoon of Canola Oil.
2. Add stock and cook until thick; at least 1 hour.
3. Stir every 5-7 minutes to ensure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.
1. In a pressure cooker, add 2 tablespoons of oil, and sear the pork shoulder on all sides.
2. Add the vegetables, caramelize, and add coconut milk.
3. Pressure cook for 45 minutes under pressure.
1. Add palm sugar, garlic, ginger, shallot, Thai bird chili, scallions, pound with a mortar and pestle.
2. Then mix with all remaining ingredients.
1. Fill large-mouth bowl halfway with Congee and place pieces of pork on top.
2. Top with spoonfuls of the Finadene sauce to taste. Add your optional garnishes. Serve hot.
All images by Carla Choy
Enjoy this recipe? Get the downloadable recipe booklet from "Meals Ready to Eat" with this link.
Connect with KCET
No record shows whether the 900 women and girls reported missing during lockdown have been found, dead or alive, or are victims of crimes.
The act of giving up what was never ours to begin with may be the first step towards a community that belongs to all of us.
Coronavirus fuels risks of pregnancy, child abuse and marriage among teenage girls in Latin America as COVID-19 infection rates surge
A group dedicated to protecting the Ballona Wetlands is among the plaintiffs in a lawsuit alleging millions of dollars in public funds have been misused for what they claim is a "deceptive'' plan to bulldoze the ecological reserve
- ‹ previous
- 2 of 2