Sautéed Day Boat Scallops with Carrots Three-ways | KCET
Sautéed Day Boat Scallops with Carrots Three-ways
Top Chef Master and CIA veteran Neal Fraser, currently the owner of downtown L.A. restaurant Redbird, to demonstrate a simple yet refined technique that can result in a gastronomic work of art.
4 large day boat scallops (per serving)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoon butter
¼ cup olive oil
3 cups carrots; assorted colors; peeled and chopped on the bias
1 cup celery root; chopped
1 cup fennel; diced
2 tablespoon ras al hanout spice
Lemon to taste
1. Add the olive oil to a heated cast iron skillet.
2. Once oil begins to smoke, season the scallops with salt then place into the pan.
3. Cook about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. As they begin to caramelize, add in the butter.
4. Once they become a deep caramelized brown color, flip them over.
5. Take the skillet off heat and allow the scallops to continue cooking for another minute.
For roasted carrots
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Coat purple carrots and fennel with olive oil and spices.
3. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
4. Turn off oven and keep warm until service.
More Meals Ready to Eat stories
For carrot puree
1. Place 1 cup of white carrots and celery root in sealed plastic bag with 1 tablespoon of butter and place in warm water bath (175 degrees) for 2 hours.
2. Once carrots and celery root are soft, place in high powered blender and blend with another tablespoon of butter for 2 minutes. Keep warm until service.
For carrot sauce
1. Juice 1 cup of orange carrots.
2. Add juice to small sauce pan and reduce until thick.
3. Add butter and mix through.
4. Keep warm until service.
1. Place carrot puree on the bottom of the plate.
2. Place roasted carrots on top of the puree and the scallops throughout the plate.
3. Add lemon to taste.
Enjoy this recipe? Get the downloadable recipe booklet from "Meals Ready to Eat" with this link.
All images: Sautéed Day Boat Scallops with Carrots Three-ways | Carla Choy
KCET Food Newsletter Signup
The Los Angeles River, and the Bowtie Parcel next to it offer a lens through which we can think about how Los Angeles used to be, how it is today, and how it may evolve tomorrow.
In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month 2018, KCET will air special programming throughout the month of September and October celebrating Hispanic culture.
Enter to win a pair of tickets to Dire Straits Legacy on September 26 at The Wiltern.
Enter to win a pair of tickets to The Los Angeles Ballet presents Modern Moves.
- 1 of 81
- next ›