Recipe: Chickpeas Baked with Vegetables, Herbs and Honey | KCET
Recipe: Chickpeas Baked with Vegetables, Herbs and Honey
This recipe was originally published on dianekochilas.com.
Chickpeas Baked with Vegetables, Herbs and Honey
- 1 pound dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 3 tablespoons thick Greek honey, preferably from Ikaria
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large red onions, halved and sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch / 6-mm rings
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch / 6 mm rings
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch / 6 mm rings
- 1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/8-inch / 3 mm thin strips
- 2 large firm-ripe tomatoes, cut crosswise into 6 slices
- 2/3 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
Drain the chickpeas and place back in a large pot with enough fresh cold water to cover by 2 inches. 5 cm. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until halfway to tender, about 1 hour.
Reserving the cooking liquid, drain the chickpeas.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325°F / 160°C.
Place the drained chickpeas in an ovenproof clay or ceramic baking dish with a lid. Pour in enough of the reserved cooking liquid to come about two-thirds of the way up the beans. Mix in the honey and balsamic. Add the herbs to the pan. Season with salt and black pepper.
Layering them in the following order, arrange the onions, garlic, bell peppers, and tomatoes over the chickpeas. Drizzle 1/3 cup of the olive oil over the contents of the baking dish. Cover the pan with its lid (or with parchment paper then foil) and bake the chickpeas for about two and a half hour, or until tender.
Remove the cover and bake until very tender and the liquid is almost all gone and the vegetables on top are almost charred, another 30 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
KCET Enewsletter Signup
Images have just been released of a tent facility built in Tornillo, Texas which may be used to accommodate dozens of teenagers, some of whom have been separated from the parents.
Come Out and See ‘Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood’ at the Summer KCET Cinema Series on June 26th
A Q&A will immediately follow with the film’s subject Scotty Bowers and director Matt Tyrnauer.
Here are the five best places to get a scenic view from some of the tallest points around – without climbing a mountain.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi was expected to arrive in San Diego today to join San Diego Rep. Juan Vargas and about a dozen other Democrats in visiting at least one immigration detention facility housing migrant children.