6HWbNHN-show-poster2x3-c7tgE2Y.png

Artbound

Start watching
MJ250sC-show-poster2x3-Bflky7i.png

Tending Nature

Start watching
Southland Sessions

Southland Sessions

Start watching
Earth Focus

Earth Focus

Start watching
5LQmQJY-show-poster2x3-MRWBpAK.jpg

Reporter Roundup

Start watching
City Rising

City Rising

Start watching
Lost LA

Lost LA

Start watching
Member
Your donation supports our high-quality, inspiring and commercial-free programming.
Support Icon
Learn about the many ways to support KCET.
Support Icon
Contact our Leadership, Advancement, Membership and Special Events teams.

L.A. County Again Calls For Compliance With COVID Orders; 3 More Business Closed Down

A COVID-19 test site in Hawthorne, CA. | Karen Foshay
Support Provided By

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - Insisting that compliance with health orders and infection-control measures will slow the spread of the coronavirus, Los Angeles County's public health director said today three more local businesses had to be shuttered due to large-scale outbreaks and failure to comply with operating protocols.

"They had significant outbreaks among their employees,'' Barbara Ferrer said, noting that all three had 40-plus COVID-19 cases and hadn't notified the county as required.

Golden State Foods Corp. in Industry had 43 confirmed cases of the virus, according to Ferrer and the county's website. S&S Foods in Azusa had 58 cases. Ferrer said the third company was a Mission Foods facility, but its location and number of cases were not immediately posted online.

News of the shutdowns came just days after county officials confirmed that Los Angeles Apparel, site of the county's worst COVID-19 outbreak — with four deaths and about 375 confirmed cases — had been allowed to reopen its clothing factory after making changes in training and infection-control measures.

It also came as Ferrer made a renewed call for regional cooperation and commitment among residents and business owners to slow the spread of the virus and avoid a return to more dramatic stay-at-home orders.

"I've said before that additional rollbacks or closures must remain on the table,'' Ferrer said. "But at this stage in the pandemic, we believe we have a lot of tools available that if fully utilized should allow us to slow the spread without going back to the more stringent Safer-At-Home orders that were in place earlier in the pandemic.''

A COVID-19 test site in Hawthorne, CA. | Karen Foshay
A COVID-19 test site in Hawthorne, CA. | Karen Foshay

The county had earlier promoted avoidance of "three C's'': crowded places, confined spaces and close contact with others. On Monday, Ferrer rolled out another "three C's'': compliance, containment and collaboration, all aimed at urging adherence to control measures such as wearing face coverings and physical distancing, along with stepped up testing and cooperation with contact tracers and working collaboratively across all sectors of government and business sectors.

"Our businesses and our employers must also do their part, and they're required to alert us to any outbreaks at their work sites,'' Ferrer said. "Employers remain key to ensuring that we can move forward in our recovery journey.''

Ferrer confirmed another 17 deaths due to the virus, bringing the total to 4,375. She also announced 2,039 new cases, lifting the countywide total since the start of the pandemic to 176,028.

Ferrer noted that — as has been the case the last few days — the case numbers may be lower than expected due to an issue with statistical reporting by the state.

She also again stressed that younger residents are driving the recent increase in cases, noting that since May, the majority of new cases have occurred in people aged 18-49. She said the 18-to-29 age group "is accounting for a sharply increasing percentage of cases,'' while "all the other age groups are either flat or decreasing slightly."

It's that younger group that can be increasingly difficult to reach, with officials noting in recent weeks that younger residents are more likely to be gathering in groups, holding parties or generally believing they are not vulnerable to the virus.

Ferrer has repeatedly warned that while young people may not be in danger of falling dramatically ill due to the virus, they can easily spread it to people who are.

She conceded some frustration among some residents at the changing nature of health restrictions as the pandemic has progressed, but said adjustments were made as more was learned about the new virus, and more changes are possible in the future.

"I'm the first one to admit, you know, how wrong we were when we thought there wasn't a lot of asymptomatic spread, and how wrong we were when we didn't think that masking up, wearing cloth face coverings, was going to afford a lot of protection,'' she said. "As we move through, I keep top of mind as we continue to learn more about this virus we have to make other adjustments in the future, and that's just the path that we're on.

"... Right now we're laser-focused on making sure that people understand that we have some tools at hand that allow us to slow the spread. We also know now without a doubt that wearing face coverings really helps protect other people and may in fact protect the wearer.

"... We've learned. The science is catching up to being able to help us as we produce directives and guidance and as we move forward, we have to take every opportunity to take whatever tools we have right now. Use them to our full capacity to slow the spread. There will be more tools in the future and that will change what we're able to do or not able to do. I am hopeful around changes that will happen around testing ... and I'm very hopeful about there being therapeutics and a vaccine.''

Support Provided By
Read More
Nurse Yvonne Yaory checks on a coronavirus patient who is connected to a ventilator. | Heidi de Marco/California Healthline

No More ICU Beds at the Main Public Hospital in the Nation’s Largest County as COVID Surges

As COVID patients have flooded into LAC+USC in recent weeks, they’ve put an immense strain on its ICU capacity and staff — especially since non-COVID patients, with gunshot wounds, drug overdoses, heart attacks and strokes, also need intensive care.
Vials of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.

Your No-Panic Guide to the COVID-19 Vaccine: Is It Safe, and When Can I Get It?

Here's what we know about the COVID-19 vaccines and how they are being distributed in L.A. County.
Nurse Michael Lowman gets the first dose of the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine from nurse practitioner Christie Aiello at Providence St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, CA, on Dec. 16, 2020. | Jeff Gritchen/MediaNews Group/Orange County Register via Getty

Orange County Gets First Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine

A Providence St. Joseph Hospital nurse was the first person in Orange County today to be vaccinated for COVID-19, shortly followed by other health care workers.