Tsubaki's Koji Marinated Grilled Shrimp | KCET
Tsubaki's Koji Marinated Grilled Shrimp
A beautifully simple dish that brings together the freshness of the sea with the delicious taste of garlic, shio koji and lemon over the grill. Perfect for easy going barbecues.
1 pound large, head-on shrimp (we use new Caledonian blue prawns)
½ pint shio koji
3 cloves of garlic, grated
30 grams of ginger
garlic oil (equal parts garlic and canola oil simmered for an hour, then strained)
1. Butterfly and devin shrimp, keeping shells intact.
2. Mix the koji together with the ginger and garlic.
3. Lightly brush each shrimp with the koji mixture, just enough to coat. The koji is very salty so a little goes a long way.
4. Grill over charcoal, shell side down, until the meat begins to turn opaque
5. Remove from grill and char the tops of the shrimp with a kitchen torch or under a broiler.
6. Finish with a drizzle of garlic oil, lemon zest and a sprinkle of espelette pepper.
7. Serve with lemon wedges.
KCET Food Newsletter Signup
Enter to win a pair of tickets to The Other Art Fair.
A Q&A will immediately follow the screening with editor Jay Cassidy.
Visit original and significant locations for McDonald’s, In-N-Out, Bob’s Big Boy and more eateries that had their humble beginnings in SoCal.
After wildlife agencies eradicated the voracious, 20-pound rodents in California in the 1970s, the invasive species has been spotted in the San Joaquin Valley again.
- 1 of 83
- next ›